About Me

Hi, I'm Jack (that's me on the right just down there!)

I'm 17

I LOVE music

I play guitar

My favourite films are The Blues Brothers, Shaun of the Dead, Ghostbusters, and Oceans 11

and I take Economics, Geography and MEDIA at A level!

The Finished Sequence

Friday, October 10, 2008

Shaun of the Dead (Edgar Wright, 2004): Transitions Analysis/Ellipsis

Shaun of the Dead (Edgar Wright, 2004): Transitions/Ellipsis

This isn't a clip from Shaun of the Dead but it shows what I want to talk about. I really like this type of transition, the short, cuts and the ECU's of the items and actions are very effective and I feel it really helps with ellipsis and to prevent continuity errors. Instead of entirely missing out parts of the film, it shows the parts but only those that are slightly worthwhile seeing and those which could make a difference. In the film (the clip I'm talking about is at 4:09 and again at 5:35 in this video, instead of pouring a glass of water, these shots depict coming in, putting flowers in the sink, picking up the phone and looking in the yellow pages then in the second instance he is putting the phone down, picking up the flowers, leaving the house and getting into a cab. I feel that this is a very good technique as it involves the audience a lot in what the characters are actually doing and makes them relate to , even the mundane tasks and removes the potential for continuity errors such as why, in the next scene he is not holding the flowers and who he is phoning. I think the fact that there is a large number of very short clips in a row really emphasises the urgency of the situation as the way the cuts are short shows there isn't much time to do things and he is being very decisive and determined. The fact that the really sharp, quick, diegetic sound effects really emphasise the urgency without the need for fast, panicky music to build tension. The sounds are the ones that you wouldnt neccessarily associated with the acitons such as picking up the phone is quite a loud grab with a sort of crunching noise. This makes the whole scene seem like Shaun is being quite quick and restless which makes the audience think he is in a panic.

0 comments: